Pinnacle Liquid Edition 6.0
This is a list I have put together of
what's new, and what's not in Liquid Edition 6. Not all features listed
below are available in all versions, and I can not yet work out which version I
actually have (complicated storey!). This list is not complete either.
There are new features I am sure I have missed.
This page is copyrighted by Guy Barwood
and may not be reproduced in any way or part without express written permission.
Email Guy at
Items in green are
features that conflict and I am yet to determine which is accurate.
HD Performance: Click Here
What's Hot (what's
really HOT in Red):
- High Definition Video Support
- Log (capture) and Record to Tape (export) HDV, D-VHS and MicroMV material via 1394.
- Export non HDV HD via fuse only.
- Realtime Effects Preview for HD material just like DV. Performance
is dependant on your PCs configuration of course.
- Edit HD formats that can not be captured directly (i.e. import them).
- 5.1 Channel Surround Sound Authoring
- Full multi channel mixing and routing.
- Dolby Digital Stereo and Dolby Digital 5.1
support for DVDs
- Tip: Use 192Kbps for Stereo, and either 384Kbps or 448Kbps for
- Can also encode a 5.1 channel mix to
Dolby Pro Logic
Dolby Pro Logic
II basically provides full front mains (left and right), Centre and mono surround channel.
in a 2 channel sound track (supports analogue formats like VHS as well as
There is no LFE channel. Use 192Kbps AC3.
- You can export separate wavs for each channel to encode to 5.1 AC3 and
author to DVD outside of Edition as well.
- Multi-format timeline
- Combine all possible formats and resolutions on a single sequence.
- Rendering is NOT required for non conforming clips until you export the
sequence (to DVD etc). You can now mix codecs, resolutions and frame
rates in the same
sequence in RT (including IBP and I Frame MPEG ).
- All clips not in the format of the sequence are transcoded (conformed) on export.
- fps: 12, 12.5, 15, 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, 59.94, 60
- 720x576 4:3 (non square)
- 720x576 16:9 (non square)
- 720x486 4:3 (non square)
- 720x486 16:9 (non square)
- 1280x720 16:9 (square)
- 768x576 4:3 (square)
- 640x480 4:3 (square)
- 1024x576 16:9 (square)
- 864x486 16:9 (square)
- Non interlaced
- top field first
- bottom field first
- Timeline Render Codec Options
- Uncompressed 2VUH(HD) (2VUY)
- Uncompressed YUV (YUV)
- DVCPro/50 (AVI) (*Broadcast Version only)
- DVCPro/50 (DIF) (*Broadcast Version only)
- DVCPro/25 (AVI)
- DVCPro/25 (DIF)
- MPEG2-I 422P@HD (M2V) (*Broadcast Version only)
- MPEG2 MP@HL (Render) (MV2)
- DV (AVI)
- DV (DIF)
- Uncompressed 2VUY (2VUY)
- RGB (AVI)
- Analogue Capture
- Capture in DV (DIF/AVI), DVCPro 25, MPEG2 IPB and Uncompressed via
- 1394 MPEG Output Format Options
- Micro MV (PAL)
- Micro MV (NTSC)
- HDV 25
- HDV 30
- D-VHS 25
- D-VHS 30
- Add Dissolve/Crossfade with options
- Automatically adds a GPU Dissolve to all clips on in the sequence
between your in and out points. You
can choose where to align the transition (start, middle, end), and it's duration. You can
limit additions to only clips where leeway exists and active tracks, or add a transition even
though leeway does not exist (manually trim later to add leeway)
- Can not create any leeway needed though.
- To change the transition used (defaults to "Cross Dissolve GPU"), copy
the transition of choice to a Rack, select it, CTRL-Right click on it and
select "Set as System Object" then "EDL Default DVE". This object is
then used instead!
- New Interface Option
- Provides standard File, Edit etc menus along the top of the application
rather than the traditional "Start" button.
- The Classic interface is still available via a "Classic" shortcut in the
Start Menu Program Group.
- Open the classic interface with the new colour scheme by creating your own
shortcut with the "/nomenu /skin=skin" parameter in the Shortcut Target.
- Additional Wizards
- New wizards (most only available in the new interface) simplify some tasks
- Input Wizards
- Capture from video device
- Import Studio 9 projects
- Search computer for video/audio files
- Import media files (AVI, WMV, etc.)
- Import audio or music (WAV, WMA, MP3,...)
- Import still pictures, graphics, title (TGA, BMP, PSD, etc)
- Create a title
- Output Wizards
- Record to tape
- Burn to disk
- Save to file
- They aren't that advanced though, eg "Create a Title" just opens TitleDeko.
- Supports Sony ClipLink in DV mode
- Import/Export XML and XCE Projects and clips.
- Import mpg, mpeg, ts, vob, wmv & mxf wrappered clips
- XRecieve from Sony XDCAM, Sony eVTR and Panasonic P2
- Apply an FX to a complete track
- Drag an FX to the track name to apply it to the complete track
- Back Up Project
- Back up a project to either Hard Disk, CDs or DVDs
- Can backup Project, Media and render files separately
- Restore Project
- Restores a project from either Hard Disk, CDs or DVDs
- Can restore Project, Media and Render files separately
- MultiCamera Editing Module
- Sync up to 16 clips
- Display up to 16 clips at once in the Module
- Trim multiple objects at one (may not be new)
- CTRL click multiple trim points and drag just one of the handles to trim
- Matte Tracks
- Add a Matte Track to any existing Timeline track
- Simplifies adding a matte between tracks (no need for dedicated track for
- Matte Track can be collapsed when you don't need to see it.
- Move with the master track (follow the master) if moved vertically
- No need to add "Track Matte" effect
- Sub Tracks
- Each track can have multiple sub tracks.
- Subtracks are similar to containers but operate on a Track-specific basis.
- Purely aim to add order and clarity to your timeline.
- Old Film and Sepia RT FX
- Hold, Liner and Bezier (default) Keyframe Interpolation
- Splined Acceleration of Keyframes
- ASIO Driver Standard (audio)
- ASIO Sound Card required for multichannel sound (eg 5.1)
- VST Audio Plug-In Support
- No Keyframe support for VST Plug-Ins
- VST Audio Effects Included
- Liquid EQ (Equalizer)
- Stereo Echo
- Audio Timewarp
- Liquid Edition Pro Hardware
- USB2 Interface to PC
- Composite, S-Video, Component RGB/YUV Inputs and Outputs (Y/G, CbPb/B-Y/B,
- 1394 Input and Output
- 6 Channel Audio RCA Connectors for multi channel/5.1 output
- 2 Channel Audio RCA Connectors (In)
- 2 SPDIF Coax and 2 Optical Input and Output
- Headphone Connector
- All Inputs and Outputs to and from the PC seem to be routed through the
USB2 interface to this Box.
- Realtime Effects can only be previewed via the Analogue outputs (not 1394)
- Audio in a fused DV avi no longer causes problems with other
- Export to DVD
- New reference sets : mini-DVD, Impression DVD.
- Choice of media size: 4.37/7.95/4.26/4.00/3.76/2.32 GB.
- MultiTrack audio encoding options: Dolby Pro Logic II AND Dolby Digital
- Can enter Disk Volume Name.
- Autoplay feature: once or loop, with adjustable delay.
- Opening burner tray is now selectable.
- Disk images are now with .iso suffix.
- Additional IPB settings.
- Improved mpeg encoder.
- Dual Layer, Double Sided & Mini-DVD support.
- Simultaneously edit multiple clips properties
- Rendering to MPEG2 MP@HL uses 99-100% of a HyperThreading CPU so seems
highly optimised for HT and likely for SMP.
What's Not (got to leave something for 6.5 or 7
- No SmartSound Support.
- Full Inlay Quality Option is NOT
- No Keyframes in CX Colour Corrector and not real time.
- No improvement to DVD authoring technique.
- Timewarps are still rendered.
- New interface will not impress experienced users (stick to
the classic interface) but will be good for new users. New interface
does reduce visible height of the timeline.
- Interface colours can not be changed (both interfaces).
- Still mess's with your system colours when not minimised.
- Wizards only available in new interface.
- Same tired old TitleDeko and still no Crawl titles with Pro.
- Same old Hollywood FX (new version for HD, 42 new effects, many
watermarked effects for purchase but no real functional changes worth
- Can't switch interface without restarting Edition.
- Still no transparency rubber bands for video clips.
- No support for InTime boards (at all).
Sorry guys, had to remove this to publish to the public web board (no
performance details are allowed to be published)